The student news site of Cypress Ranch High School

The Mustang Messenger

The Emmys Wrap Up: Big Winners and Close Calls

Shajid Hasan, Editor

The Emmys came and went with nominees being announced and the winners being awarded. The year saw some particularly strong television, with comedies taking the lead.

In drama, the best series was given to The Handmaid’s Tale, a series about a government which now treats women as property rather than human beings. Although the series was well thought-out and planned, I personally thought it was a bit long.  Atwood’s novel would have functioned better as a longer film or a miniseries. Having Atwood’s work translated into a long series might ruin the control aspect of the story. However, the first season was amazing, and I do feel as though it was an excellent adaptation of the book, and as long as they don’t plan on over-stretching the story (*cough cough* Better Call Saul *cough cough*) The Handmaid’s Tale has my vote for best drama series.

Veep won the award for best comedy series. Although I have only personally watched the first half season of Veep, it reminds me of a more light-hearted version of House of Cards.  Veep reminds me a bit of Parks and Recreation, one of my favorite comedy series of all-time. The show revolves around a politician who becomes Vice-President of the United States, or “Veep,” and has to deal with odd jobs in office. Despite Veep’s similarities to Parks and Rec., Atlanta took home the crown for most trophies won by a comedy series. Although I have sung nothing but praises about Veep, the show doesn’t do anything different. It doesn’t tackle the issues of the everyday man or make you think like Parks and Recreation did. Atlanta tackles these issues, as well as provides a comedic experience (albeit not as farcical as Veep). Veep is still a good show, and I highly recommend watching it if you haven’t already.

Big Little Lies won best limited series. Based on the bestseller by Liane Moriarty, Big Little Lies revolves around the misconceptions of suburbia. It’s been a while since Nicole Kidman has done a major project on television, and Big Little Lies seems like a series that properly utilizes her talents. Kidman also won Best Lead Actress. All in all, Big Little Lies was a good limited series and the cast and crew deserve to be commended.

The most notable people at the Emmys were all the award winners, like the aforementioned Nicole Kidman, Riz Ahmed for his work in The Night of, Julia Louis-Dreyfus in Veep, John Lithgow in The Crown, Ann Dowd in The Handmaid’s Tale, and Donald Glover for his work on Atlanta. 2017 was a good year of television, and with the year that movies had in 2017, the Emmys might be the only award show worth watching.