The student news site of Cypress Ranch High School

Books to Read this Thanksgiving Break

November 12, 2018

You may (or may not) be wondering what to read this Thanksgiving break. I’ll save you the trouble of looking for a great book and give you a list of my top books to read this Thanksgiving break.

“The Hate U Give” by Angie Thomas

Caught between her poor neighborhood and her fancy prep school, sixteen-year-old Starr Carter becomes the focus of intimidation and more after witnessing the fatal shooting of her childhood best friend, Khalil, by a police officer.”

The Hate U Give by Angie Thomas

Now a major motion picture, Angie Thomas tackles the subject of shootings in her book, “The Hate U Give.” Although I have not read this book, the subject itself seems overly appealing to one’s eye. Overall, this book contains over 450 pages and falls under the category of young adult fiction. “The Hate U Give” has received many awards such as the Waterstone’s Children’s Book Prize, the Coretta Scott King Award, and was also listed in the National Book Award’s long list for young-adult literature. These are only some of the awards and prizes one by Angie Thomas’s New York Times bestseller. — Barnes and Noble

“Harry Potter and the Sorcerer’s Stone”by J.K. Rowling

“Harry Potter has never been the star of a Quidditch team, scoring points while riding a broom far above the ground. He knows no spells, has never helped to hatch a dragon and has never worn a cloak of invisibility. All he knows is a miserable life with the Dursleys, his horrible aunt and uncle, and their abominable son, Dudley – a great big swollen spoiled bully. Harry’s room is a tiny closet at the foot of the stairs, and he hasn’t had a birthday party in eleven years. But all that is about to change when a mysterious letter arrives by owl messenger: a letter with an invitation to an incredible place that Harry – and anyone who reads about him – will find unforgettable. For it’s there that he finds not only friends, aerial sports, and magic in everything from classes to meals, but a great destiny that’s been waiting for him… if Harry can survive the encounter.”

Harry Potter and the Sorcerer's Stone by J.K. Rowling

Also, a major motion picture, starring Daniel Radcliffe, Emma Watson, and Rupert Grint, this book was completely irresistible to include in this list. “Harry Potter and the Sorcerer’s Stone” is a part of a seven-book series and has been converted into eight overall movies. This book is a great read, especially for those who enjoy reading books in the fantasy genre. This classic has won many awards such as the National Book award, the Smarties Prize, is listed for the UK version of the Newbery Medal, and many other awards. This book is an absolute must-read. — Barnes and Noble

“One of Us is Lying” by Karen M. McManus

On Monday afternoon, five students at Bayview High walk into detention. Bronwyn, the brain, is Yale-bound and never breaks a rule. Addy, the beauty, is the picture-perfect homecoming princess. Nate, the criminal, is already on probation for dealing. Cooper, the athlete, is the all-star baseball pitcher. And Simon, the outcast, is the creator of Bayview High’s notorious gossip app. Only, Simon never makes it out of that classroom. Before the end of detention Simon’s dead. And according to investigators, his death wasn’t an accident. On Monday, he died. But on Tuesday, he’d planned to post juicy reveals about all four of his high-profile classmates, which makes all four of them suspects in his murder. Or are they the perfect patsies for a killer who’s still on the loose? Everyone has secrets, right? What really matters is how far you would go to protect them.”

One of Us is Lying by Karen M. McManus

Filled with drama and mystery, this book is a complete page-turner. “One of Us” is Lying has won many awards such as A YALSA Quick Pick for Reluctant Young Adult Readers. The book is basically “The Breakfast Club” but with a “whodunit” twist. The New York Times bestseller keeps you on the edge of your chair with each and every chapter, which always leaves you wondering, Who actually killed Simon? — Barnes and Noble